1 killed, 17 injured after car crashes at fundraiser in fire in Pennsylvania


Burwick, Pa. (AP) – One person was killed and 17 others injured after a vehicle was hit by a bar at a Pennsylvania bar for victims. Earlier this month 10 people were killed in a house fire; The man police say the driver was later arrested in the murder of a woman nearby.

The accident occurred at approximately 6:15 p.m. Saturday outside the Intoxicology Department bar in Berwick, which was scheduled to hold a full-day fundraising event to benefit the victims of the August 5 fire, which involved seven adults in Nescopeck. And three children were killed.

Pennsylvania State Police has identified the driver as Adrian Oswaldo Sura Reyes, 24, of Nescope. He was arrested on Sunday morning in two cases of criminal murder.

Shortly after the accident was reported, soldiers were called to Neskopec about a man “physically assaulting” a woman less than a mile away. Soldiers learned that Sura Reyes had been arrested by the local police and that a woman had died. His identity and the identity of the person killed in the accident were not immediately released.

A spokesman for the hospital said Sunday morning that the Geisinger Medical Center said it received 15 patients after the accident, and five were in critical condition, while three were in good condition. Seven patients were treated in hospitals and discharged.

Trooper Anthony Petrosky III told reporters at a midnight news conference that Sura Reyes was not currently a suspect in the fire, the cause of which is being investigated. He declined to comment on the suspect’s relationship with the Nescopeck victim or on the motive for any crime.

“It’s an absolute tragedy in a community where tragedy has already happened,” Petrosky said. “We are going to do our best to do a thorough check-up for not only the families but the members of the community. They are already hurting.”

Sura Reyes was denied bail and remained in the Columbia County Jail for a preliminary hearing on August 29. Wilkes-Barre newspapers reported that he only said “sorry” to reporters’ questions as he was taken from the Shikshini police station. It was not immediately clear whether he had a lawyer to comment on his behalf.

The station reported that the bar had a fundraiser for those affected by the August 5 fire that killed seven adults and three children.

The circumstances surrounding Saturday evening’s crash were not immediately clear, including whether there was any connection to the Nescopeck fire or the fundraising effort.

Barr called the events an “absolute tragedy” and said on its Facebook page that they would be closed until further notice and would like privacy “while we try to process the events that are grieving.”


fbq(‘init’, ‘1621685564716533’);
fbq(‘track’, “PageView”);

var _fbPartnerID = null;
if (_fbPartnerID !== null) {
fbq(‘init’, _fbPartnerID + ”);
fbq(‘track’, “PageView”);

(function () {
‘use strict’;
document.addEventListener(‘DOMContentLoaded’, function () {
document.body.addEventListener(‘click’, function(event) {
fbq(‘track’, “Click”);


Leave a Reply