Monday hearing set for 2 former policemen in George Floyd murder

[ad_1]

Minneapolis — A judge on Monday scheduled a hearing on the “state of the plea negotiations” for the two remaining officers awaiting trial on state charges in the killing of George Floyd, closing the hearing after the judge’s window to accept any deal happened.

Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill said in previous orders that he would not accept plea agreements unless they were signed by former officers Tou Thao and J. Don’t come within a 15-day window after Alexander Kueng was sentenced in federal court on separate civil rights charges. Those sentences were reduced on July 27. Business days or calendar days were not specified in their orders.

Court spokesman Matt Lehmann said only that Monday’s scheduled 9 a.m. hearing was “to discuss the status of the petition negotiations.”

The Minnesota Attorney General’s office did not comment on the nature of the hearing. Thao’s lawyer, Bob Poole, and Kueng’s lawyer, Thomas Plunkett, did not immediately return phone messages.

The trial is scheduled to begin on October 24, with opening statements due November 7.

Thao and Lane are charged with aiding and abetting both second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of Floyd. Former officer Thomas Lane pleaded guilty in May to abetting and abetting second-degree murder in a deal that called for a three-year sentence. His sentence is September 21.

Thao, Kueng and Lane were working with then-officer Derek Chauvin when he pinned Floyd’s neck with his knee for more than nine minutes after the 46-year-old black man said he couldn’t breathe and was eventually immobilized. Done. The killing, captured in spectator video, sparked worldwide protests and a reaction to racial injustice. Chauvin was convicted last year of second-degree murder and sentenced to 22 1/2 years on the state charge.

All four have already been sentenced on different federal civil rights charges, ranging from 21 years for Chauvin to 3 1/2 years for Thao, 3 years for Kueng and 2 1/2 years for Lane. Chauvin remains in the state’s maximum security prison in Oak Park Heights, pending transfer to a federal prison. The other three are free on bail.

,

Associated Press writer Amy Forlity contributed to this story.

,

Watch AP’s full coverage of the killing of George Floyd here: https://apnews.com/hub/death-of-george-floyd

[ad_2]

Leave a Reply