The fire, which is visible at night from some parts of the city, has engulfed the forests and mountains around the mega city in recent times.
Local officials said forest fires have broken out in several outlying districts since August 18. The municipality is home to over 32 million people.
According to an update on Tuesday morning, the municipal authorities have not reported any casualties yet and said that the fire is under control.
As of Tuesday, all of Chongqing’s districts and counties have issued an order prohibiting the use of forest fires and fire-fighting activities.
Professor Bai Ye of China’s Forest and Grassland Fire Prevention and Extinguishing Research Center told the official Beijing Daily that the fire in Chongqing was mainly the result of “spontaneous combustion” caused by extremely high temperatures.
According to state media, Chongqing ordered the factories to suspend operations for seven days starting last Wednesday.
The high temperature is not ready to go anywhere yet.
On Tuesday morning, China issued a red alert heat warning, the highest of four colour-coded levels, for at least 165 cities and counties across the country.
According to the China Meteorological Administration, the temperature in these cities is likely to cross 40 degrees Celsius in the next 24 hours.
Another 373 cities or counties across China issued the second highest-ever orange warning alert, with the administration reporting that temperatures in these cities are expected to rise above 37 degrees Celsius over the next three days.
China’s Central Meteorological Observatory in a statement on Tuesday advised people to avoid outdoor activities during periods of high temperatures and limit work in hot conditions.
Chinese officials have previously said that more than 90 million people across the country have been affected by heatwaves this summer.
CNN’s Laura He and Akanksha Sharma in Hong Kong contributed to this report.